The French Broad River through Brevard, N.C., into Asheville provides ideal South Eastern musky opportunities for both experienced and intermediate musky fishers.
During fall and winter, enjoy full-day float trips on the French Broad River where you’ll fish a combination of fly fishing and conventional styles get you in front of potential 50 inch trophy fish.
Suited for: Intermediate to more advanced fly anglers
Destinations: French Broad River
Trip Description: Fly fishing and chucking conventional tackle for musky, known as “the fish of 10,000 casts,” might just be the last frontier of freshwater fishing in the United States. Luckily, for someone interested in the pursuit of these apex predators we have a healthy and expanding fishery of muskies right here in our backyard on the French Broad River.
November through May is considered the best time to pursue these pike relatives, which grow as large as 50-plus inches. As we hit the river, your guide will describe the ins-and-outs of musky fishing, including the unique strategies used to trigger strikes.
Drifting downstream, you’ll be casting fly rods between 10 and 12 weight, running 450-550 grain full sinking lines, and using 7 inch to 15 inch flies. On conventional gear, you’ll be cranking low-profile Abu Garcia 400-500s, lined with 80 pound Power Pro braid while turning figure-8s with a 8 foot to 9 foot heavy St. Croix Musky Mojo rod.
We suggest booking a minimum of 2 days on the water with guides.
2020 / 2021 MUSKY FLOAT RATES
FULL DAY – $500 (Up to 2 Anglers)
- A licensed, knowledgeable fishing guide who can assist you with casting, locating fish, and whatever questions you may have.
- Fly Fishing equipment- including Waders, Wading Boots, Fly Rod, Reel, and Fly Line
Rates Do Not Include
- A North Carolina Fishing License (you can purchase both ahead of time by visiting NCwildlife.org)
- Dressing appropriately for the weather- We recommend wearing
quick dryclothing even though your Waders will be waterproof. Wear fleece or polyester layers during colder months, and bring a good rain jacket no matter the forecast. Wear thick wool socks.
- Hat, Sunscreen, Lip Balm, Camera, Insect Repellent, and a change of clothes just in case.
- Camouflage- Try to avoid brightly colored shirts and hats that may spook the fish. Earth tones are better.
DUE TO COVID-19 RECOMMENDATIONS, THE FOLLOWING HAS CHANGED:
- A ride to and from the water you’ll be fishing is no longer provided. Your guide will be scheduling a shuttle the day of your trip.
- Lunch, beverages and snacks will not be provided by your guide. Please be ready to provide yourselves lunch, beverages and snacks.
MEET YOUR GUIDE / Gavin Griffin
A Headwaters Outfitters full-time guide, Guide Gavin Griffin is available to anglers on the French Broad River for muksy opportunities.
*Gavin is able to provide both fly fishing and conventional gear
GAVIN’s MUSKY SLED
With Gavin, spend your day in a Outcast PAC-1300. Any angler will comfortably and confidently be able to stand on non-slip hard decking giving you the power to cast flies and lures all day.
MEET YOUR GUIDE / CHRIS FRANZEN
Headwaters Outfitters Head Guide, Guide Chris Franzen is available for guided musky trips in the French Broad River.